GP32/GP2X/Gizmondo/Pandora port of Atari800 emulator
I bought a GP32 in 2003, very fast handheld for its time. It was a nice bit of hardware, except for the very dark screen. Anyway I did a GP32 port of Atari800. Things were much improved when I broke that one doing a 32MB upgrade and replaced it with a FLU. Nice, if washed out, frontlight system.
Then in Nov 2005, I bought a GP2X. I broke it 2 days after getting it. Quite efficient even by my standards! Anyway it was kindly fixed by DJWillis. Yeah I know there is an official SDL version, but that doesn't map the GP2Xs keys, have virtual keyboard, set appropriate config settings, have XE bank switch paged alloc etc etc. There is also ZX81's version.
Then in Nov(?) 2006 I bought a Gizmondo and promptly ignored it for a year, after getting annoyed with the GPS and slow screen updates. I just decided to port over the GP2X version to see how it runs (a year later...). This is a very hacky port, but runs fairly well.
19/3/2012 - Finally done a version for the Pandora! Please give it a try...
This emulator port would not have been possible without the hard work of the Atari 800 developers. Many thanks to them. Especially for releasing it under the GPL. I plan to merge some of my changes back into the main tree at some indeterminate point in the infinite future. For now the src is available for download here.
I thought this was the best way to have a portable gaming Atari 800/XL/XE. Then I saw Ben's efforts here, with his Atari Laptop. How cool is that! For the rest of us who want a portable Atari I still suggest buying a Pandora, GP32 or GP2X(soon) from GBAX or Evil Dragon or ebay.
Get the GP32 or GP2X specific version for the binary. If you haven't run it before you'll need to get the parts download as well (note gp2x install is now under roms, not gpmm). Finally for devs the source is available (of course).
- 0.8 for GP32
- 1.2 for GP2X (not on GP32 yet)
- 1.2 for Gizmondo
- Gizmondo binary. Copy Atari800 dir over, just add roms to main dir and bung some ATRs in ATR directory...
- Gizmondo source. This is a _really_ messy port from GP2X version, which is a pretty messy GP32 port as is:-)
- 1.5 for Pandora
- Pandora binary. Copy into pandora/menu or pandora/desktop. Add roms/disks etc to appdata/atari800. Includes xf25.zip for core os roms.
- Pandora source. This is a _really_ messy port from GP2X version, which is a pretty messy GP32 port as is:-)
You notice that some of these archives contain commercial games and the OS ROMs. I do not believe the copyright holders will mind given the age of the games. If they do then let me know ASAP and I will remove them immediately. However to protect me a little, I am going to say that you may only download the archives with games/ROMs if you own them all (5200 OS, OSA, OSB, OSXL, Atari Basic, Joe Blade, Blinky's Scary School, Bomb Fusion, Centipede, Chucky Egg, Encounter, Galaxian, Loco, Lode Runner, Mouse Trap, Pitfall2, Pole Position, Rescue on Fractulus, Savage Pond, Star Raiders, Asteroids 5200 ROM, Tempest 5200 ROM, River Raid cassette, Zybex cassette and Dropzone cassette). If not then please get one of the other archives and source the ROMs/games elsewhere. There are also various PD programs included. I added some new demos to this one that I used for testing (some are mine;-))
For GP32/GP2X/Gizmondo specific running information look in doc/README.GP/Giz. Any questions drop me an e-mail or ask in the forums since a lot of it is not obvious...
So you've downloaded the emulator and you're looking for something to run on it? atari.fandal.cz has loads of great demos/games. Suggest you take a look. Also XLSearch is great. Lastly I also have Holmes sitting around somewhere:-).
- First release in theory -> only went to a select few on IRC
- Fixed sound bug
- Added reset/reboot back to the emu menu
- Added option on R key in default.men
- Added option to B menu in default.men
- Fixed screen drifting problems
- 0.4 (Yeah I know its been ages. Moving house... I've only done this one to avoid packing!)
- Fixed screen drifting problems properly -> tum tee tum!
- Added seperator into menu (to stop accidentally restarting GP32)
- Auto Frame skip can be disabled (needed for Mountain King because of collision detection bug).
- GTIA/CTIA artifacting switched (as in 1.3.0...)
- Artifacting stored in save state
- Joystick 0/1 can be mapped (Needed for several pinball games (see nightmis.men and dave.men))
- Default.men now has lower case keys (Still no decent keyboard entry though)
- Cut fpk was missing menu files in previous versions (so no input!)
- 0.4a (Not a proper release, just a patch to make arrow keys work on Rescue on Fractalus. Fxe only is available here)
- Simple chatboard support (More to come -> can't do control keys yet etc.)
- Timing fix
- Built with GCC 3.4 so may be quicker? Nothing really noticeable though.
- Merged with atari800 v1.3.2 source
- Built various speeds
- Added builds with cycle exact emulation (slow but good... See picture)
- Fixed 130XE bank switching
- Added virtual keyboard (press L+R together)
- Fixed ATZ, DCM support
- Savestates are gzipped (slowish, no option to disable yet)
- PCX files are stored in the state dir, rather than root
- Savestate filename can be typed
- Savestate filename can be based on current menu or first disk
- Added extra chatboard keys
- Used proper libc port - wrote (another?) syscall.c in terms of gp sdk
- Splashscreen by Antiriad
- Clock speed selection
- Switched to better compiler build/flags (10% faster ish)
- Fast forward support (hold left shoulder in default/5200 menu)
- State file management (startup in state, rename, delete)
- Restructured menu a bit
- Fixed a few bugs...
- Merged GP2X and GP32 versions (mostly)
- Added ZIP file support
- GP2X:Added clock speed change (Fast forward uses 250, let me know if it crashes for you)
- GP2X:Fixed crash when displaying onscreen keyboard
- GP2X:config now go in /mnt/sd/roms/a800 (i.e. move it from gpmm/a800 to roms/a800)
- GP2X:Switched to 8-bit mode
- GP2X:Added X and Y buttons
- GP2X:Stereo works (thanks to Rlyeh again)
- Bumped emulator core to 2.0.1
- Moved CPU clock speed into external script, seems to differ depending on peoples LCD prefs etc.
- I included cpu_speed_light, cpu_speed built with dietlibc and an example script
- Added 16-way input and simple speed control for 5200
- Added default menus for people who put the config in the wrong place!
- Now uses proper atari800 config file, so things can go anywhere. I included an example.
- Still accesses /tmp (booo), but I included the Linux ramdisk module. I recommended mounting /tmp on that.
- Lots of other things I've forgotten
- Broke my GP32 version again:-( Plan to fix in the next few weeks.
- Fixed savestates (You can't load 0.9 ones since they were broken, delete them)
- Added 16-bit HiFi Pokey (Off by default, slow in some programs)
- Config file is now atari800.cfg (not .atari800.cfg) and autogenerates better
- Fixed 5200 controls in default.men
- 5200 digital controls mode
- Improved palette
- Improved timing
- Fixed NTSC sound
- DPAD fixes for modded F100s and F200s. Just a build I did for DaveC iirc... Since its on the archive and F200 has a DPAD as standard thought I should upload it here.
- Gizmondo port...
- Think this was fiddling with the GP2X cradle - never publically released.
- Pandora port
- Pandora keyboard support
- Pandora nub support for 5200
- Pandora touchscreen support in ui
- Pandora touchscreen support as light pen
- Updated splash screen (from dark screen gp32 version)!